Marion S. Harwood, 84, art gallery co-owner

October 21, 2004

Marion S. Harwood, co-owner of a Baltimore art gallery and longtime volunteer, died of cardiac arrest Sunday at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. She was 84 and had lived in Elkridge Estates since moving from her Roland Park home in 1986.

Born Marion Smith in Baltimore and raised in Homeland, she was a graduate of Eastern High School and earned a bachelor's degree in 1942 from the College of Notre Dame of Maryland.

Mrs. Harwood worked for several years in the bacteriology laboratory at Johns Hopkins Hospital before her 1946 marriage to Richard R. Harwood Jr.

In 1975, the couple purchased the Purnell Gallery in the 400 block of N. Charles St. Her husband, a former printing company executive, is president of the family business -- now in Hampden's Mill Center -- and Mrs. Harwood was vice president.

She had been an active volunteer of the Family and Children's Aid Society, Meals on Wheels, Planned Parenthood, the Citizens Planning and Housing Association and the women's board of Johns Hopkins Hospital, and among a variety of social memberships had served on the board of the Mount Vernon Club.

She was a communicant for more than 50 years and active member of Old St. Paul's Episcopal Church, at Charles and Saratoga streets, where a memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. today.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by three sons, Richard R. Harwood III of Roland Park, Edward S. Harwood of Washington and William W. Harwood of Short Hills, N.J.; and three grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.