Police investigating reports of rapes of two county high school students

One attack at Overlea, the other near Woodlawn

October 20, 2004|By Sara Neufeld | Sara Neufeld,SUN STAFF

Baltimore County police say they are investigating two reported rapes of high school students -- a Woodlawn High girl who said she was assaulted last week after leaving the campus with two other students during school hours last week, the other a girl who reported being attacked yesterday in a restroom at Overlea High.

The Woodlawn girl was found lying in an alley in the 1500 block of Clairidge Road in western Baltimore County at 2:48 p.m. Oct. 13, said Officer Shawn Vinson, a police spokesman. She was taken to St. Agnes HealthCare. The next day, she told police she had been raped.

The girl left Woodlawn's campus with two male students, and they went to a house and drank alcoholic beverages, Vinson said. The girl told police that one of the boys had sex with her in the house while she was drunk, the spokesman added.

Police did not give the girl's age. Police had not made any arrests in connection with the incident yesterday. Woodlawn Principal Daric V. Jackson said the two boys are not attending classes this week, and they face disciplinary hearings before the school board.

Jackson said the girl has not returned to school. He said he believes she left campus voluntarily with the boys about 10 a.m. Wednesday.

The day after the alleged assault, before school let out, the girl's brother and six other young men arrived at Woodlawn High seeking retribution, said Police Department spokesman Bill Toohey. They had a bat, a box cutter and some other weapons, but not a gun, he said.

A police officer assigned to the school told the group to leave, Toohey said. They left but came back, and the officer arrested them, he said. Court records show the men were charged with trespassing and possession of a deadly weapon on school property. All seven were released to await court appearances in January and were ordered to stay away from the school.

Last week's events came as an especially hard blow for Woodlawn High, which is trying to remake its image under Jackson's leadership. In an article last month about the new principal, The Sun wrote of his efforts to prevent students from cutting class. In previous years, Woodlawn students have frequently wandered through the halls and off campus.

At Overlea, a 15-year-old student told police she was forced into a boys' restroom by two boys about 11 a.m., and raped by both while a third waited outside as a lookout.

Police said the girl returned to class, and said nothing of the attack before telling her boyfriend about 2:45 p.m. Neither called the police, but as word spread around the school, someone called 911 about 4 p.m., police said.

Staff writers Julie Bykowicz, Lisa Goldberg and Richard Irwin contributed to this article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.