Trial set to begin in 2003 murder

Man charged in shooting of pregnant woman

October 18, 2004|By Laura Cadiz | Laura Cadiz,SUN STAFF

In May of last year, Howard County police found 23-year-old Shameka Fludd fatally shot in the head in her Stevens Forest apartment in Columbia's Oakland Mills Village.

She was four to five months pregnant, according to police.

Today, Tjane Charmeise Marshall of Suitland - who police believe was the father of Fludd's unborn child - faces prosecution on first-degree murder charges in Fludd's death in Howard County Circuit Court.

"Mr. Marshall is not guilty; he did not do this," Assistant Public Defender Janette DeBoissiere said. "The real killer is still out there."

Prosecutor F. Todd Taylor would not comment on the case.

The trial before Howard County Circuit Judge Dennis M. Sweeney is expected to last one to two weeks, said T. Wayne Kirwan, a spokesman for the state's attorney's office.

Marshall, 28, of the 3900 block of Coach Lane in Suitland was charged with the crime July 17 last year.

Maryland does not have a law that establishes additional charges for someone accused of harming a pregnant woman and her fetus.

According to charging documents, Fludd's sister told police that Marshall did not want Fludd - the mother of two young children who taught at Easton Express Day Care in Laurel for nearly five years - to have the child, saying it would "ruin his life."

A week before Fludd was killed, Marshall said he "was going to do something about" her pregnancy, according to the documents.

On May 3, Marshall borrowed a rental car from a friend and attended a party, according to charging documents. After flirting with a woman, he left alone early on the morning of May 4, and police believe he drove to Fludd's apartment, the documents state.

Later that morning, Marshall and three people drove the rental car to Northern Virginia. Marshall told one of them that he shot Fludd and that he also shot himself in the right foot, according to charging documents.

Fludd was found in her apartment in the 5800 block of Stevens Forest Road the evening of May 4, after her grandmother called police because she had not heard from Fludd in more than a day.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.