No. 2 Curley shuts out No. 3 Loyola

Three second-half goals lead Friars past Dons, 4-0

Boys soccer

October 01, 2004|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

The Loyola boys soccer team hadn't been behind at the half in a game all season.

Yesterday, on the road against goal-happy Archbishop Curley, proved to be a bad time to start.

The No. 2 Friars took an early advantage and showed an explosive ability to put a team away with three second-half goals that showcased a stunning 4-0 win over the No. 3 Dons in a key Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference game.

Sophomore forward B.J. Quigley opened the scoring with a goal in the 14th minute and added two more goals in the second half to move the Friars to 10-2 overall and 6-0 in the league.

Loyola, which was looking to rebound after its first loss, last week against No. 1 McDonogh, instead fell to 7-2-1 overall and 5-2 in the league.

Solid defense, quick play in transition and poised finishing made for a complete Curley win. The Friars can savor the victory only for a short while, with Calvert Hall next on the schedule tomorrow.

"We have a good team; everybody works together and isn't selfish, and when that's the case, this is what we can do," said Quigley, who has nine goals this season. "I just got a lot of good balls and did what I could with them and was able to find the back of the net."

Good pressure in the penalty area led to Quigley's first goal, coming from 12 yards after a shot from Matt Lista was cleared off the line.

The Friars stayed persistent playing with the lead the rest of the game. A goal from senior Shawn Houseknecht with 30 minutes left put the Friars ahead 2-0, and Quigley put the game away later with two more.

Loyola coach Kyle Swords said he saw signs he didn't like, starting at halftime.

"Just by looking at my kids' faces at halftime, I think they felt we already lost the game. Our intensity in the second half was awful," he said. "After the game, I told them to go home and think about why you're playing; you've got to find your heart again. Now the question is how we're going to bounce back."

On the other side, Curley coach Barry Stitz was pleased to see 80 minutes of solid soccer from his Friars, coming against a quality opponent.

"We were very dangerous all day today, and I think that was a result of the guys in the back doing their jobs first," Stitz said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.