Man facing murder charges in carjackings

Two women died after Eastern Shore incident


September 30, 2004|By Sarah Schaffer | Sarah Schaffer,SUN STAFF

A Pasadena man accused earlier this month of a double carjacking in Easton will face first-degree murder charges because two of his alleged victims died from their injuries, Talbot County prosecutors said yesterday.

Edward J. Williams, 34, is in custody at the Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center in Jessup, a maximum-security psychiatric facility.

He was sent there shortly after Sept. 9, when he was charged with two counts of carjacking and three counts of kidnapping. Williams is accused of stealing a sedan and a truck on the Eastern Shore and crashing both, injuring several passengers, two fatally.

Margery Friel, 92, of Queenstown and Anna Mae Walbert, 85, of Easton died at Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Talbot County State's Attorney Scott G. Patterson said he authorized the murder charges Tuesday afternoon - seven days after Friel's death and more than three weeks after Walbert's - because the state medical examiner's office has told him that both women died as a direct result of injuries they suffered during the incident.

Patterson declined to discuss the nature of the women's injuries or give any other details about the case. He said he expects Williams to be served with the murder charges soon, though the process may have to wait until his next scheduled court date Oct. 6.

Maryland State Police said the incident began when a friend of Williams' dropped him off at Memorial Hospital at Easton so that his mental condition could be evaluated.

Williams is accused of commandeering a Chevrolet Caprice in the hospital parking lot. Walbert and Patricia Anthony, 51, of Easton were sitting in the back seat.

According to state police, Williams drove the Caprice to Route 50 and headed west toward the Bay Bridge before running a red light and crashing into a vehicle that was occupied by driver Andrea Grogan, 34, of Denton and her passenger, Friel.

Anthony suffered minor injuries and Grogan was flown to Maryland Shock Trauma, where she was treated and released.

Police allege that Williams left the crash site and forced his way into a sport utility vehicle that was being driven by Betty J. Clayland, 78, of Beltsville. He drove the SUV east on Route 50, with Clayland still inside, until he lost control of the truck and crashed it into a roadside trench, police said. Clayland was unharmed.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.