Loyola treats old friends from Perry Hall to 3-0 loss

Facing club teammates, Dons win bragging rights

Boys soccer

High Schools

September 15, 2004|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

For three Loyola midfielders, last night's boys soccer game against No. 11-ranked Perry Hall was a chance to play against some old friends and claim bragging rights.

It was also a chance to prove that private school soccer is a little better than public school soccer.

So it was no surprise that Mike Deasel, Kevin Zinkand and Ryan Wooden of No. 8-ranked Loyola each stepped up their intensity a notch against the Gators in drizzly weather at Perry Hall.

That extra intensity paid off for Loyola with a 3-0 victory, as Wooden scored a goal and had an assist, and Deasel scored a goal.

"We've been looking forward to this game more than our Calvert Hall game," said Deasel. Calvert Hall is normally Loyola's archrival.

Zinkand said: "We were pumped."

And Wooden said: "Half their team played on the same Kingsville club team with me."

"There were definitely a few happy players when we got Perry Hall on our schedule," said Loyola coach Kyle Swords, whose Dons improved to 4-0-1. "But at the beginning of the game their speed looked like it might give us trouble."

Perry Hall's lack of depth, however, caused the Gators (1-2) to wear down.

"They wore us out," said Gators coach Ray Madejski. "The key was that they worked harder than us. Technically we were probably just as good. But we played as 11 individuals.

"We're always slow starting early in the season, and have a lot of young players and transfers."

Deasel scored with 27 minutes left in the first half on a mis-communication by Perry Hall goalkeeper Mike Radcliffe and his defense.

Radcliffe, who had 17 saves, some of them outstanding, called for the ball. But he didn't get it and his defense froze as Deasel kicked in a ball that had rolled across the box untouched.

Bojo Bauer scored Loyola's second goal with less than five minutes left in the first half on a left-footed shot from the left side at the 18-yard line. He was unguarded for the shot - his fourth goal this season.

Wooden scored the final goal with five minutes left off a 25-yard free kick by John Lindsay.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.