Injuries end seasons for Majewski, Segui

ORIOLES NOTEBOOK

Rookie has shoulder tear

veteran goes back on DL

Notebook

September 14, 2004|By Roch Kubatko | Roch Kubatko,SUN STAFF

TORONTO - The Orioles' expanded roster no longer stretches quite as far.

Held back because of injuries, outfielder Val Majewski and first baseman David Segui didn't accompany the Orioles to Toronto for the start of a three-city road trip. Majewski has been diagnosed with a torn glenoid labrum in his left shoulder, and Segui returned to the disabled list with inflammation in his surgically repaired left knee.

Both players are finished for the season, and Segui's Orioles career most likely is over.

Majewski, who's expected to be chosen as the organization's minor league Player of the Year, joined the Orioles when his contract was purchased from Double-A Bowie on Aug. 18.

He appeared in eight games, making three starts, but hadn't played since collecting a pinch-hit, run-scoring double Sept. 1 against Tampa Bay.

"It might be from overthrowing, from doing a lot of throwing," manager Lee Mazzilli said. "It's nothing that we're real concerned about. We just don't want to put him in a position where he's going to do something [worse] to it."

Majewski made his major league debut Aug. 20 against Toronto. He was 2-for-13 and scored three runs before the Orioles shut him down.

The Orioles have placed him on a throwing program, and because he's doing rotator cuff exercises and unable to play, they didn't see any reason to take him on the trip.

Executive vice president Jim Beattie said if surgery is needed, Majewski might be ready by the end of spring training.

Segui was hitting .339 in 59 at-bats. He was activated from the 60-day disabled list Sept. 1 and went 6-for-13 before complaining of a "hot spot" beneath his left kneecap last week and receiving a cortisone injection. The knee has buckled a few times recently.

"He tried so hard and he just didn't feel like he was helping the team," Mazzilli said. "You've got to respect a guy saying that."

Segui, 38, made one start at first base, which aggravated his condition. He served as the designated hitter Sept. 8 and went 2-for-4, probably his last at-bats with the Orioles.

Before rosters expanded, Segui hadn't played in the majors since April 24. He underwent arthroscopic surgery May 11 and was transferred to the 60-day DL two months later.

Once the season ends, Segui will have appeared in 193 out of a possible 650 games since signing a four-year, $28 million contract in December 2000. He indicated that he wants to put off retirement at least one more year if his knees allow it, but he's considering another surgery.

Hairston's tedious time

More accustomed to playing baseball this time of the year, Jerry Hairston is getting bored on the disabled list.

Hairston has returned to the Orioles' clubhouse, and he's preoccupied with finding ways to amuse himself.

"I have too much time on my hands right now because I'm playing practical jokes on some of my teammates here," he said. "They said, `You need to be back playing.' It's obviously hard for me to not be out there. I was having fun, but things happen."

Hairston fractured his left ankle on Aug. 17 after leaping for a ball in center field and landing hard on the warning track.

"I did it playing hard," he said, "so I really don't have any regrets."

Hairston continues to wear a protective boot but can remove it in about two weeks.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.