Trial opens in man's 1984 killing

Couple charged in shooting of Dundalk resident, 69

eyewitness to testify today

September 09, 2004|By Jennifer McMenamin | Jennifer McMenamin,SUN STAFF

Nearly 20 years after a 69-year-old Dundalk man was found fatally shot outside his home in an isolated industrial area, prosecutors began yesterday building a case against the couple they say killed him and ransacked his house looking for drugs and money.

Prosecutors told a jury yesterday in Baltimore County Circuit Court that the case against David W. Marsh, 45, and Joann Knight, 46, rests with a single witness -- the woman who was waiting in a car outside John Andrykis' home when he was killed. She knew why police were contacting her nearly two decades later when they mentioned they worked for Baltimore County's cold case unit.

"This isn't CSI. There's not a lot of physical evidence in this case," John Reilly, an assistant state's attorney, told jurors. "But there is an eyewitness. ... She is the best evidence in this case."

But the defendants' lawyers offered a different view of that witness, Candice C. Marsh, 46, who this year was granted a divorce from the brother of defendant David Marsh, according to court records.

Brian Murphy, who is representing David Marsh, told jurors that he will "vigorously" question the woman "because your No. 1 job is to assess the credibility of Candy Marsh."

The long-cold investigation suddenly picked up in the spring when Baltimore County's two cold-case detectives began re-examining the shooting of Andrykis, a retired Teamsters organizer who was found dead Oct. 7, 1984.

The veteran investigators contacted David Marsh's former sister-in-law and told her they were reinvestigating a homicide. Candice Marsh interrupted them, saying, "I know what this is about," according to court documents. "This is about the murder of that old man, the guy David Marsh and his girlfriend, Joann, killed."

Candice Marsh told police that she had driven with David Marsh and Knight to the house of Andrykis, a man she knew as Knight's "sugar daddy" and frequent source of drugs and money, according to court records. Waiting outside, Candice Marsh heard gunshots. She told police that David Marsh and Knight told her that an argument ensued and that David Marsh shot Andrykis, court records show.

On March 5, two days after the cold-case detectives interviewed Candice Marsh, police filed arrest warrants charging David Marsh and Knight with first-degree murder.

Authorities tracked down Knight -- who is charged under the name Joann Culotta rather than her married name -- in Florida. David Marsh was arrested in April in Hagerstown.

The trial is scheduled to continue today when prosecutors call Candice Marsh to testify.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.