Howard County man shot by city officer

Police say victim lunged with a knife at pair investigating dispute

August 30, 2004|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,SUN STAFF

A Howard County man was shot and wounded by a police officer last night after allegedly lunging with a knife at him and another officer in a Southeast Baltimore home where they were sent to investigate a domestic dispute, authorities said.

About 7:30 p.m., several officers were sent to the house in the 3300 block of Foster Ave. where the man - a 37-year-old from Ellicott City - had forced his way into the home of his girlfriend, who had been granted an ex parte protective order against him, police said.

After the officers were told that the man was armed with a knife and a baseball bat, two officers assigned to the department's emergency services unit responded to assist, said Lt. Terry McLarney of the homicide squad.

As the emergency services officers talked to the man in an effort to get him to drop his weapons and surrender, he burst from the small room and lunged at them with the knife, McLarney said.

He said one officer fired a Taser - a weapon that delivers an electrical charge to stun its target - "but it missed its mark and the man continued his attack," McLarney said.

It was then, McLarney said, that one officer drew his .40-caliber handgun and shot the man.

"There was a lot of movement there and it's easy to miss your mark with a Taser," McLarney said.

The Howard County man, whose name was withheld, was shot in the left arm and upper left leg and taken by ambulance to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, said Agent Troy Harris, a police spokesman. His condition was not known, but he was expected to survive, Harris said.

The officers remained on duty while the incident was being investigated by their commanding officer and the homicide squad.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.