Cable crew ruptures gas line in Pikesville

August 23, 2004|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A cable television work crew broke an underground natural gas line yesterday evening, producing flames that threatened a nearby house and several cars and prompting the Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. to cut off gas and electrical service in the neighborhood, authorities said.

About 6 p.m., officials said, a Comcast crew was working in the 2100 block of Sugarcone Road in the Summit Chase area of Pikesville when a piece of equipment broke the gas line.

Flames fueled by leaking gas reached about 20 feet in the air, and the fire was left to burn for several hours until BGE workers could shut off the gas flow. Baltimore County firefighters sprayed water on the house and cars that were threatened.

Electrical power was being restored overnight to about 300 BGE customers affected by the incident, which did not result in any injuries.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.