Charges dropped in city shooting

MdTA officer recants part of his account of incident

August 20, 2004|By Ryan Davis | Ryan Davis,SUN STAFF

A Maryland Transportation Authority Police officer has recanted at least part of his initial account of a shooting he was involved in last week, prompting prosecutors yesterday to drop all charges against one of the West Baltimore men accused of attempted murder.

Dione Fauntleroy, 19, of the 1600 block of W. North Ave. no longer faces attempted murder or handgun charges in connection with a shooting involving off-duty Transportation Authority Police Officer Devin Walker, city state's attorney spokeswoman Margaret T. Burns said. Immediately after the exchange of gunfire in West Baltimore, Walker had identified Fauntleroy as one of his assailants.

He has since said Fauntleroy was not involved, Burns said.

Authority police spokeswoman Catherine Leahan declined to comment because the incident remains under investigation by Baltimore police.

Walker's attorney, Henry L. Belsky, said Walker "gave a statement to the city police to the best of his ability." He also said his client told the truth.

About 10:30 p.m. Aug. 11, Walker was involved in a shooting in the 2700 block of Parkwood Ave.

Walker told police he was sitting on the steps of a house when two men approached, according to court documents. Walker said one pulled a handgun and the other acted as a lookout.

Walker said Dale Fauntleroy, 20, of the 2500 block of Woodland Ave. fired an errant shot, according to court documents. Walker said he fired back and hit the man. Dale Fauntleroy was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center and later charged.

Police said Dione Fauntleroy was arrested when he arrived at the scene on a bicycle and was identified by Walker as the lookout.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.