O's decide they can't wait, place Bigbie on DL, too

ORIOLES NOTEBOOK

Outfielder joins Hairston

Majewski helps fill void

Notebook

August 19, 2004|By Jeff Zrebiec | Jeff Zrebiec,SUN STAFF

Not having the luxury of waiting for Larry Bigbie to ease his way back into the lineup, the Orioles placed their starting left fielder on the disabled list yesterday and purchased the contract of Val Majewski from Double-A Bowie.

Bigbie missed the previous two games after straining a groin muscle in batting practice before Monday's series opener against the Oakland Athletics. He slipped on the rubber turf in foul ground while attempting to field a ball.

The announcement came the same day that the Orioles lost their starting center fielder, Jerry Hairston, to a season-ending ankle injury.

Before the Orioles made the move, Bigbie said that he was feeling better and hoped to get back in the lineup during the weekend series with the Toronto Blue Jays. But the Orioles need healthy bodies now.

"[Bigbie's] not ready to go," Orioles manager Lee Mazzilli said. "It is a setback, when you lose two guys like that, your center fielder and your left fielder. We're going to have to mix and match and do the things that you can."

Bigbie is hitting .268 with 13 homers and 52 RBIs in 108 games.

A third-round selection in the 2002 draft out of Rutgers, Majewski, 23, was batting .307 with 15 home runs and 80 RBIs for the Baysox. He also had 70 runs, 14 stolen bases, 24 doubles and five triples.

Rated the Orioles' fourth-best prospect by Baseball America last year, Majewski played 52 games in left field for Bowie, 42 in center and 24 in right, though Mazzilli said he will be used as a corner outfielder.

A left-handed hitter, Majewski participated in the Futures Game and the Double-A All-Star Game. He was named the organization's Player of the Month for July after batting .344 with three home runs, 21 RBIs and six stolen bases.

Segui put on hold

Executive vice president Jim Beattie said David Segui likely won't be activated from the disabled list until Sept. 1 when rosters expand from 25 to 40 players.

Segui has been on the disabled list since April 25 and underwent surgery on his left knee. He played first base Monday for Single-A Frederick as part of his injury rehab assignment.

"We certainly would love to have his bat in the lineup, but if he'd play tonight and then he wasn't able to play for a couple of days, that puts a lot of pressure on your club," Beattie said. "Given where we're at right now, we need guys that can play."

Segui was given the option of going down to the minors for his third injury rehab assignment or working out with the team.

Around the horn

Kurt Ainsworth will be examined today in Baltimore after complaining of arm soreness. Ainsworth has made two starts at short-season Single-A Aberdeen during his injury rehab. ... In his daily pre-game meeting with reporters, Mazzilli added a little brevity to all the injury talk. When asked about yesterday's FanFest in Washington, Mazzilli, obviously aware of the organization's opposition to a possible major league franchise there, said, "They kept asking me questions about [D.C.]. I said, `It's a nice city.'" ... The A's activated former Orioles reliever Arthur Rhodes from the DL.

Sun staff writer Roch Kubatko contributed to this article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.