Anxious islanders return to Fla. homes

Many are relieved to find damage from hurricane was relatively minor

August 19, 2004|By John-Thor Dahlburg and Lianne Hart | John-Thor Dahlburg and Lianne Hart,LOS ANGELES TIMES

SANIBEL ISLAND, Fla. - This crescent of sand bathed by the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico is one of Florida's mythic destinations, a magnet for bird-watchers, seashell gatherers and the simply sun-starved. Yesterday, islanders who fled as a hurricane approached were allowed back for the first time, and many came with their heart in their throat.

In her home on South Yachtsman Drive, Mary Wolf rushed indoors to see if the wooden canoe handcrafted by her late husband was intact. It was. The other damage caused by Hurricane Charley, including a neighbor's Norfolk pine tree that had landed in her pool, were a minor nuisance.

"We came through this very well," said the 76-year-old retired nurse. "If it hadn't made that little wobble at the end, it would have been different."

The barrier island to the north did not fare as well. Only a half-mile wide, Captiva Island caught the full brunt of the storm that roared across Florida on Friday, bringing death and devastation with it. A tour of the 5-mile-long island by boat six days after the hurricane found numerous yachts beached in yards, docks in shambles, and roofs missing from scores of private homes and vacation properties.

So many Australian pines and giant ficus trees had toppled onto Captiva's only north-south road, that the high green jumble reminded resident Louise Alt of the threatening forest in The Wizard of Oz. Farther up the coast, the island of North Captiva Island now has a new channel, about 250 yards wide, into the Gulf of Mexico. Charley literally cut the island in two.

For Florida tourism as a whole, though, the verdict on the hurricane seems to be the same uttered by Wolf about her home: It could have been much, much worse. Abraham Pizam, dean of the Rosen College of Hospitality Management at the University in Central Florida in Orlando, said the storm's impact on what has grown to be a $51 billion-a-year industry should be negligible.

"The hurricane luckily did not have a major impact on Central Florida, which is a major tourist destination. It hit hard in places like Punta Gorda, which is not laden with a lot of tourist attractions," Pizam said. Moreover, he said, the storm struck when many out-of-state tourists had already ended their vacations in Florida and gone home to put their children in school.

As of yesterday, officials put the death toll attributed to Florida's most devastating hurricane in more than a decade at 22, the Associated Press reported. More than 439,000 people in the state remained without power, and nearly 100,000 were still without telephone service. As of yesterday, 2,684 people were living in shelters.

While total damage is not yet known, the Insurance Information Institute said yesterday that insurers would likely pay out an estimated $7.4 billion in claims for damage to homes, businesses, cars and other personal possessions.

At this point, said Tom Flanagan, spokesman for Visit Florida, a public-private partnership that promotes tourism, no one really knows how many lost tourist dollars Charley will cost the state. But to counteract the impact of news media coverage of the hurricane, Visit Florida's executive committee, following a conference call with Gov. Jeb Bush, has decided to spend $119,000 on image repair, Flanagan said.

"It's to counter the perception that the entire state is devastated," Flanagan said. Visit Florida hopes vacationing Americans get the message: Charley didn't damage most of the Sunshine State's Atlantic and Panhandle resorts or Central Florida attractions. The Florida Keys reopened to visitors the day after the hurricane, as did Walt Disney World, Universal Studios and Sea World.

Initial reports of hurricane damage on Sanibel, roughly 12 miles long and 4 miles wide, where 6,000 people live year round, sounded apocalyptic. But a committee formed to safety check every building on the island found that while many homes were damaged, most of the damage was minor.

"Not a single building had to be condemned," said local architect Joe St. Cyr, a committee member, who had a ficus tree on his property fall on his boat. That's not to say that Sanibel residents won't have to pay many millions of dollars for repairs to properties such as the seaside Casa Ybel, a timeshare complex where some roofs are now gone. Roofers, people who construct aluminum pool enclosures, tree surgeons, electricians and many other tradesmen have months of work ahead of them on Sanibel, St. Cyr said.

Relief, though, seemed to be the prevailing emotion yesterday, as well as some irritation that the Sanibel City Council, which had cited reasons of public safety, barred property owners from returning to the island for so many days.

The Los Angeles Times is a Tribune Publishing newspaper.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.