More than 70 high school students attending a conference at the University of Maryland, College Park were treated at local hospitals last night for apparent food poisoning, authorities said.
The students were attending the National Student Leadership Conference, a university spokeswoman said. Campus police said all had been staying at the school's LaPlata dormitory and some had eaten at a nearby campus dining hall.
None of the students had been admitted to the hospital and all were expected to be released, according to spokeswomen from Doctors Community Hospital of Prince George's County in Lanham and Washington Adventist Hospital in Takoma Park.
Campus police said they were taking the students back to campus as they were being released from the hospitals.
Twenty students were taken to Washington Adventist, and 52 were taken to Doctors Community, according to the spokeswomen.
All were being treated for apparent food poisoning, with vomiting being the most serious symptom, said Cheryl McKay of Washington Adventist and Mary Dudley of Doctors Community.
The students began arriving at the two hospitals about 6:30 p.m. yesterday, McKay and Dudley said. McKay said five students had been released by 11:20 p.m.
"They all just need to throw up and receive fluids," McKay said. "They're going to be fine."