Bayhawks rip Boston, 25-14, finish perfect on road

Pro Lacrosse

August 06, 2004|By Dan Hickling | Dan Hickling,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

BOSTON - The Bayhawks have met their greatest success this season on the road. Make that their only success.

Last night, the Bayhawks completed the road portion of their schedule with a 6-0 record, turning in a thorough beating of the league-leading Boston Cannons, 25-14.

With the win, the Bayhawks (6-5) became the first team in Major League Lacrosse history to win all of their road games.

They're 0-5 on their home field at Johnny Unitas Stadium in Towson, but the team's road record has put it in position to all but clinch a playoff spot with a win there against New Jersey in its Aug. 14 season finale. The Bayhawks also remain alive for their fourth straight National Division title.

"We'll take care of that next week," said player/coach Gary Gait, who scored five goals against the Cannons (8-3) to extend his goal-scoring streak to 27 games. "That's our goal."

Last night, the Bayhawks fell behind 3-1, then rallied to take an 8-4 lead by the end of the first quarter.

Mark Millon sparked the outburst with a shot from the right post that made it 3-2 less than seven minutes into the game.

Almost a minute later, Millon's shot from the high slot was stopped, but Tom Marechek put away the rebound to tie the game at 3-3.

Dan Marohl put the Bayhawks ahead at 8:49 with a blast from just inside the two-point arc.

Millon scored twice more that quarter, and Jeff Sonke fired in a two-point goal to extend the lead.

By the game's end, the Bayhawks had amassed the highest point total in team history.

"And we haven't even played our best game yet," said Marechek, who led all scorers with five goals and two assists. "It'll come. But we were pumped up for this one."

Said Bayhawks faceoff man Paul Cantabene: "We needed the game more than them. They weren't playing for anything. They didn't really make any adjustments."

Ball control was the key to the Bayhawks' success. They held a 10-5 edge in ground balls after the first quarter, and Cantabene helped by winning eight of 12 faceoffs.

Boston cut it to 14-12 in the fourth quarter before the Bayhawks put together an 11-2 run to close the game.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.