Teen charged in accidental shooting of girl

August 05, 2004|By Larry Carson and Lisa Goldberg | Larry Carson and Lisa Goldberg,SUN STAFF

Howard County police have filed charges against an 18-year- old Woodbine man accused of accidentally shooting a 16-year- old girl with a pistol he removed from his father's safe, according to court documents.

Benjamin Mark Allen was charged with reckless endangerment and discharging a .22- caliber revolver in the July 6 incident, which injured Katie L. Weyer of Dayton.

Weyer and two other teens were visiting Allen's home in the 800 block of Iron Rail Court for a pool party.

The shooting followed an unsuccessful attempt to concoct homemade explosives to blow up a bleach bottle in a field behind the house, the documents said.

Allen was served with charging papers July 19, police said. The case is scheduled for trial Sept. 9 in Howard District Court.

Weyer, who was immediately taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, remains a patient there, according to her mother, Susan Weyer. Although doctors hoped to discharge her about a week and a half after the shooting, Katie Weyer, a rising senior at Glenelg High School, suffered a major setback and continues to struggle to recover from serious injuries that have affected her lungs, her mother said.

"It's just unbelievable how much damage one .22-caliber bullet can do," said Susan Weyer, who added that the family has been on "an emotional roller coaster."

"She had to literally fight for her life," Susan Weyer said, "and continues to do so."

Allen's family and his attorney, Gary Wiessner, declined to comment.

Susan Weyer said she is thankful that the teens acted quickly, calling 911 and putting pressure on the wound.

But she said she still doesn't know when her daughter will be released from the hospital.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.