Officer kills man after car chase

Passenger fatally shot

driver wounded, charged

July 30, 2004|By Ryan Davis | Ryan Davis,SUN STAFF

The pursuit of a white sedan early yesterday led Maryland Transportation Authority Police from Interstate 895 into the parking lot of an East Baltimore convenience store, where an officer fired on the car, killing a passenger and injuring the driver.

Police said the car -- an Infiniti Q45 -- rammed a police car and was speeding toward a woman in the Royal Farms parking lot in the 6400 block of Pulaski Highway when Officer Sean P. Kent stepped in front of the woman and fired twice, hitting the driver and passenger.

Police did not identify the passenger, who was pronounced dead at the scene. Two other passengers in the back seat were unhurt and not charged.

The Infiniti's driver, 22- year-old Leroy Sherrod of the 500 block of N. Washington St. in Baltimore, was arrested and charged with attempted murder and several driving offenses, police said.

Sherrod was treated at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center and released, and was being detained last night at Central Booking and Intake Center.

The pursuit began about 1 a.m. when Kent and another officer spotted a white Infiniti Q45 driving erratically in the northbound lanes of the Harbor Tunnel, authority police spokeswoman Catherine Leahan said. The officers, who were in patrol cars, began to follow the Infiniti with their lights flashing.

The chase continued as the Infiniti turned onto Pulaski Highway and headed northeast, Leahan said. The car entered the Royal Farms lot and circled the store, police said.

It struck a police car -- the officer inside wasn't injured -- and sped toward a woman who had just left the store, Leahan said. That prompted Kent to fire his handgun twice.

In accordance with transportation authority procedures, Kent has been placed on administrative duties until investigations are complete. Kent, 34, joined the force two years ago.

Transportation Authority Police Chief Gary McLhinney said the shooting appeared to fall within department guidelines, and city police -- who were investigating the shooting -- indicated that based on a preliminary investigation, the shooting appeared justified.

Sun staff writer Richard Irwin contributed to the article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.