The Orioles needed to make room on the 25-man roster for pitcher John Maine yesterday, and center fielder Luis Matos was going to be unavailable for a while because of a bruised right shin.
The solution wasn't hard to find.
Matos went on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Thursday, because of the injury. He'll be eligible to return Aug. 6 when the Orioles begin a four-game series with the first-place Texas Rangers at Camden Yards.
"The swelling has gone down," Matos said, "but the pain is the same."
Matos suffered the injury after making a catch and slamming into the wall during Wednesday's game against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park. He missed both ends of Thursday's doubleheader, with Karim Garcia starting in center.
"I hope that in four or five days it'll feel better, and we'll see what happens," he said.
The impact was in the same area where Matos sustained a stress fracture in spring training. Though it has healed, the sensation from hitting the wall was an unwanted reminder.
"That area is so sensitive that if I hit it, it's going to be very painful," he said, "and that's where it is right now."
By putting Matos on the disabled list, the Orioles could guard against bringing him back too soon. "This way, it kind of relieves that," manager Lee Mazzilli said.
Maybe the time off will cure Matos in other ways. A 4-for-51 slump has lowered his batting average to .224 in 89 games.
Garcia will continue to get most of the starts in center, although Larry Bigbie also can play that position.
O's must decide on Morban
Adding Maine necessitated another move by the Orioles. They also designated shortstop Jose Morban for assignment to clear room on the 40-man roster.
As a former Rule 5 pick, Morban stayed with the team last season after the Orioles claimed him off waivers toward the end of spring training. He batted .141 with two homers in 61 games.
The Orioles assigned Morban to Double-A Bowie this year, shifting former shortstop prospect Ed Rogers to second base.
The team has 10 days to trade or release Morban.
Knee still bothering Segui
Pulled from his injury rehab assignment at Bowie, David Segui returned to Camden Yards yesterday to receive treatment on his left knee.
Swelling in the knee ended Segui's stay at Bowie after Monday's game. The Orioles aren't certain when he'll return to the field or be activated from the disabled list.
The home clubhouse at Camden Yards had a few new faces yesterday with Maine, Garcia and reliever Todd Williams making their first visits this season.
Williams joined the team in Boston after the Orioles purchased his contract from Triple-A Ottawa. Lynx manager Tim Leiper informed him of the promotion, but Williams didn't believe it.
"I was waiting for him to tell me it was a joke. If he had done that, it wouldn't have been so funny at the time," said Williams, who hadn't pitched in the majors since 2001 with the New York Yankees.
"I sat there for a couple of minutes still looking at him like, `Don't pull that on me.' But I'm happy these guys gave me the opportunity."
Mazzilli disputes report
With speculation continuing about Mazzilli's job status, he disputed another published report that he has lost the clubhouse.
"That's so far from the truth," he said. "You guys have been around here. I don't even know where that would come from. It amazes me."
Angelos speaks out
Orioles owner Peter Angelos, appearing on WBAL's Sportsline last night, estimated that a team in the Washington or Northern Virginia area would cost the Orioles $40 million in lost gate and broadcasting revenues per season.
"Another major league team in Virginia or D.C. will certainly have a very negative effect on the broadcast revenues the Orioles realize annually, about 60 percent of what we can expect from cable and television broadcasting," he said.
Sun staff writer Peter Schmuck contributed to this article.