Carroll Digest


July 22, 2004

Westminster police phone system will be upgraded tomorrow

The Westminster Police Department will upgrade its telephone system tomorrow between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m.

All calls for service during that time, including emergency calls, will be automatically forwarded to the Carroll County Emergency Operations Center.

Westminster police dispatchers will be relocated to the county center during the upgrade to receive and dispatch calls for service.

The public is requested to call the Police Department for general information before 6 a.m. or after 8 a.m. tomorrow to ensure that service is not disrupted.

Information: 410-848-4646 or 410-876-3100.

Manchester man arrested after Route 30 police chase

A 51-year-old Manchester man was being held at the Carroll County Detention Center yesterday on traffic charges after a police chase down Route 30 into Reisterstown that began when a Carroll sheriff's deputy attempted to serve an arrest warrant, officials said.

Willis Michael Otey was jailed after a Carroll District Court commissioner set bail at $20,000 on the original charge of failing to appear in court on a charge of driving with a suspended license, officials said.

Otey also was charged with 16 traffic offenses, including driving 90 mph in a 50 mph zone, reckless, aggressive and negligent driving, and multiple charges of crossing the double-yellow line, and failing to stop for red lights and stop signs, said Capt. Vince Maas of Carroll County Sheriff's Office. Otey's license was suspended in Maryland and Tennessee, and two detainers each were found for him from Baltimore and Baltimore County, according to police and court officials.

The chase began about 6:40 p.m. Tuesday, when Deputy Robert Riggio went to a home in the 3100 block of Main St. (Route 30) in Manchester to serve a bench warrant for failure to appear in Carroll District Court, Maas said. The deputy spotted a man driving away in a 1986 red Ford pickup truck with Tennessee license plates, northbound on Route 30.

With assistance from Manchester and Hampstead town police officers, Maas said, the truck was spotted southbound on Route 30 about five minutes later. Maas said Baltimore County police were waiting at the county line, but the truck continued into the parking lot of a Royal Farms convenience store at Routes 30 and 140. The suspect was arrested at 7:11 p.m. after a brief foot chase.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.