Haywood T. Bryant, 83, mechanic, station owner

July 07, 2004

Haywood T. Bryant, a retired auto mechanic and filling station owner, died of congestive heart failure June 30 at his Catonsville home, where he lived for the past 40 years. He was 83.

Born in Lunenburg County, Va., where he graduated from Lunenburg High School in 1939, he moved to Turners Station in 1942 and worked in the Bethlehem Steel Co.'s pipe mill and shipyard. He served in the Army during World War II.

After living for several years in White Plains, N.Y., he returned to Turners Station and attended the Lincoln Technical Institute for training as an auto mechanic. He worked in a Turners Station Esso station before buying Bryant's Exxon Service Station in 1967 at North Avenue and Aisquith Street.

Active in the Congress of Racial Equality, he trained apprentices to be mechanics under one of its programs. He sold the station about 20 years ago.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at New Shiloh Baptist Church, 105 East Avenue, Turners Station, where he sang in the choir.

Survivors include his wife of 61 years, the former Myrtle G. Randolph; three nieces he raised, Glenda Johnson, Robbie McGill and Jill Carter, all of Columbia; seven grandnieces; and four great-grandnieces.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.