Annapolis fatal fire accidental

July 01, 2004|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A burning cigarette started a fire that killed an elderly woman in an Annapolis house Monday, city fire officials have determined.

Thelma Louise Hunt, 77, was in bed in the first-floor bedroom of her home at 1007 Forest Hills Ave. at 7:35 a.m. Monday when her cigarette fell and ignited the bedding, said Lt. Jeffrey Morgan, a spokesman for the Annapolis Fire Department.

Fire officials do not believe Hunt was asleep, he said.

Hunt was pronounced dead at the scene. An autopsy performed by the state medical examiner's office indicated that she died from smoke inhalation and burns, Morgan said.

Damage to the two-story house was estimated at $15,000.

The last fatal fire in Annapolis was in August 2002 when unattended food cooking on a stove caused a fire that killed two men.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.