May 22, 2004

Lincoln Kilpatrick,

72, an actor who appeared in more than 40 movies and got his first break when he was cast in the theatrical production of A Raisin in the Sun, died Tuesday in Los Angeles of lung cancer, his agent said.

Born in St. Louis, Mr. Kilpatrick was an influential black actor during the 1960s when he costarred with Sidney Poitier in the Broadway hit. He went on to play roles in James Baldwin's Blues for Mr. Charlie, The Slave, and The Blacks, which featured Louis Gossett Jr. and Cicely Tyson.

He switched gears in the 1970s, appearing in films such as Cool Breeze, Soul Soldier and Uptown Saturday Night. He also was tapped for sci-fi flicks such as Omega Man, Soylent Green and Chosen Survivors.

Among his television credits were The Leslie Uggams Show, Matt Houston and Frank's Place.

Mr. Kilpatrick co-founded the Kilpatrick-Cambridge Theatre Arts School in Hollywood and became the first black member of the Lincoln Center Repertory Company.

John Kehoe Jr.,

84, a key investigator in the January 1950 Brink's robbery in Boston and later the state public safety commissioner, died May 14 in Milton, Mass., of pneumonia, his family said.

Mr. Kehoe was one of the first FBI agents to arrive at the Brink's Building in Boston's North End after thieves had stolen more than $1 million in cash and $1.5 million more in checks, money orders and other securities - then the largest robbery in U.S. history. Kehoe persuaded Joseph "Specs" O'Keefe, one of the seven alleged robbers, to turn state's evidence in the case.

In 1962, Mr. Kehoe was appointed coordinator of the FBI's organized crime unit in New England.

He retired from the FBI in 1970 to become executive director of the New England Organized Crime Intelligence System, developed to foster information-sharing among law enforcement branches. A year later, Gov. Francis Sargent made Mr. Kehoe the state's public safety commissioner. He left the state position in 1978 to take over as the executive director of security at Boston Edison and retired in 1990.

Mr. Kehoe graduated from Boston College in 1941 and joined the FBI that year on Dec. 8, a day after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Paul Wehrle,

82, an infectious and communicable diseases expert who helped wipe out smallpox, died Tuesday of natural causes in San Clemente, Calif., his son said.

Dr. Wehrle helped develop the vaccination that led the World Health Organization to declare smallpox eradicated in 1980. In the 1960s as a medical officer for the WHO, he traveled to Nepal, India, Africa, South America and Afghanistan to administer the vaccine.

Dr. Wehrle also worked on the clinical trials for the Salk vaccine, which conquered polio. First administered in 1954, the vaccine was named for its chief developer, Dr. Jonas Salk.

He was chairman of the University of Southern California's pediatrics department from 1961 to 1988 and published numerous academic articles and books on infectious and communicable diseases. He also did research on the effects of air pollution on people and served as a member of the Air Pollution Training Committee of the U.S. Public Health Service.

Yang Shen-sum,

92, a Chinese artist who was a master of the Lingnan school of painting, died in Hong Kong. Mr. Yang, who lives in Canada, apparently suffered a heart attack a week ago Police said his wife discovered him unconsciousness in his bed.

Mr. Yang was known for his bird, animal and landscape paintings in the southern Chinese style known as Lingnan, which combines traditional techniques with Japanese and Western realist approaches. His 2002 giant pine tree painting, "Evergreen Forever, is displayed in Beijing's Great Hall of the People.

Born in 1913 in the southern province of Guangdong, Mr. Yang later moved to Hong Kong and briefly studied art in Kyoto, Japan. He moved to Canada in 1988 and was in Hong Kong on a visit when he died.

John Runnings,

86, a peace activist known for his attention-getting antics that included repeated anti-war protests on the Berlin Wall, died April 25 on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. He was ailing from senile dementia, his family said.

Mr. Runnings was a fixture in demonstrations against nuclear weapons in Washington state for many years. During the 1960s, Runnings became a devotee of nonviolent protest while demonstrating with fellow Quakers against the Vietnam war.

In 1986, at age 68, he climbed onto the Berlin Wall and was hauled down by East German authorities, breaking his back in the fall. After three months in jail, he was ejected, but returned again and again to the wall dividing the western part of the city from the communist east. He burned his passport at the Checkpoint Charlie border crossing in Berlin and went on a hunger strike.

When the wall fell, Mr. Runnings chipped off the first piece. That fragment and his battering ram are now in a German museum dedicated to Checkpoint Charlie.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.