Second fire of week at Annapolis apartment complex probed

One firefighter, 2 residents injured in three-alarm blaze ruled accidental

April 29, 2004|By Jacqueline Seaberg | Jacqueline Seaberg,Baltimoresun.com Staff

Annapolis firefighters today were investigating the second three-alarm blaze this week at an apartment complex in the Eastport neighborhood.

Fire crews responded to a 5:13 a.m. call at the Watergate Village apartment complex at 620 Americana Drive, according to Battalion Chief Mike Lonergan, a department spokesman. The fire was contained approximately an hour after firefighters arrived on the scene.

Two residents and a firefighter were injured in the blaze. The firefighter, who was not immediately identified, was at the end of a hose line when he fell through the floor of a second-story apartment, Lonergan said. He was able to get up and crawl out of the first-floor apartment.

The firefighter was taken to the Anne Arundel Medical Center, where he was treated and released. By his request, he was then taken by ambulance to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center's burn unit for further evaluation. Lonergan said the firefighter was in good spirits.

One resident suffered a first-degree burn and refused treatment at the scene, according to Lonergan. Another resident was taken to the Anne Arundel Medical Center with a second-degree burn on the hand.

The blaze has been ruled accidental, but fire authorities were not releasing any other information about the cause, Lonergan said.

At last count, 18 residents from nine apartments had been displaced. There was extensive fire damage to three apartments, according to Lonergan. The other six apartments sustained smoke and water damage.

The American Red Cross was assisting the affected residents, and Lonergan praised management at the apartment complex for housing the displaced tenants in vacant apartments.

On Monday morning, there was another three-alarm fire in the Watergate Village apartment complex at 705 Americana Drive when some insulation was accidentally ignited by a plumber's torch, according to Lonergan. No injuries were reported.

Originally published April 29, 2004, 11:05 AM EDT

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.