Broadneck discusses appeal

Football

High Schools

April 28, 2004|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Over 150 Broadneck High football parents and supporters, met last night at the Cape St. Claire school behind closed doors to discuss the school's May 17 appeal with the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association.

They hope to persuade the state public schools' Appeals Committee to reverse the penalties rendered last week by the Anne Arundel County Board of Education.

The county committee ruled that Broadneck, the Class 4A runner-up, must forfeit all 13 wins and its county and region titles because of an ineligible player who violated the residency rule.

"It's a campaign for the innocent," said Nick Marino, father of junior quarterback Tony Marino and one of the group organizers.

"We're looking for compassion from the state not to penalize the entire team because of a very unique and troubling situation."

The ineligible player spoke to the group last night and opened his heart, according to Marino.

"We've asked everyone to contact [MPSSAA executive director] Ned Sparks by e-mail, phone or fax and ask him and the MPSSAA in a positive and respectful manner to overturn the penalties," Marino said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.