Va. women turn off Terps in ACC, 9-7

Behind 6-3 at halftime, Cavs dominate second half

April 24, 2004|By Evan Markfield | Evan Markfield,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Six weeks and 10 wins later, Maryland's women's lacrosse team still didn't have an answer for Virginia.

The No. 4 Cavaliers overcame a three-goal halftime deficit and broke the No. 2 Terrapins' 10-game winning streak yesterday, 9-7, in an Atlantic Coast Conference tournament semifinal at Henry Stadium.

The loss was Maryland's first since March 9, when the Terps fell to the Cavaliers in College Park, 10-8.

"It just wasn't our day," Maryland coach Cindy Timchal said. "I thought it was our day today, but it obviously wasn't. It was half our day."

That would be the first half, when the third-seeded Terps led by as many as four goals, took a 6-3 lead into the break, and appeared on their way to the ACC final for the seventh time in eight years.

But Maryland (12-3) won't defend its ACC title. Instead, No. 2 seed Virginia (14-3) will face Duke in the final at 1 p.m. tomorrow. The top-seeded Blue Devils beat North Carolina, 12-11, in the day's other semifinal.

Virginia, which has won five straight, shut down Maryland's offense for nearly the entire second half.

At the other end of the field, though, the Cavaliers scored seven unanswered goals - six in the second half - and took a 9-6 lead with 11:15 remaining.

Less than two minutes into the second half, Virginia attacker Amy Appelt, the nation's leading scorer, stuck her 69th goal this season, and 57 seconds later, she scored her 70th.

"I just couldn't hit a shot for my life today," said Appelt, who was scoreless on seven first-half shots and 2-for-14 on the game. "I felt more in control in the second half."

The Terps had quite the opposite feeling.

They entered the game leading the nation in averaging 14.5 goals a game, best in the nation. But starting with about six minutes left in the first half, the Terps went scoreless for more than 25 minutes. Lauren Warren broke the spell with 10:26 left, but even then, the Terps trailed 9-7.

Like all of Maryland's other goals yesterday, Warren's was unassisted - a big part of the Terps' problem offensively.

"It's not that typical for us to have a game like that," said sophomore Delia Cox, who led the Terrapins with two goals. "Normally, we like to work as more of a unit and click better than we did in the second half."

It didn't help Maryland's cause that Virginia goalkeeper Andrea Pfeiffer went from making just one save in the first half to stopping virtually everything the Terps threw at her in the second half, including several point-blank saves.

One shot, from Maryland junior Acacia Walker, did get past Pfeiffer on a high bounce with 6:19 to go, but the goal was waved off because the Terps were offside. That goal would have pulled Maryland within one.

Instead, the Cavaliers regrouped and finished off a second half in which they dominated Maryland to get their first win against the Terps in ACC tournament play.

"After each goal, we didn't come back and say, OK, clean slate," Cox said. "We just didn't wake up."

Maryland 6 1 - 7

Virginia 3 6 - 9

Goals: M--Cox 2, Collins, Coppedge, Pellizzi, Sommers, Warren; V--Appelt 2, Banks 2, Connors, Haas, Leachman, Thalenberg, Young. Assists: V--Haas, Thalenberg. Saves: M--Miles 17; V--Pfeiffer 8.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.