Terps women fall in ACC semis

Virginia hands Maryland 9-7 loss

will face Duke for title

College Lacrosse

April 23, 2004|By Baltimoresun.com Staff

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Kirah Miles stopped 17 shots and the Maryland defense held Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year Amy Appelt to just two goals, but it wasn't enough as Maryland fell 9-7 to Virginia Friday afternoon in the ACC semifinals.

Virginia (14-3) advances to face Duke in the finals. Duke beat North Carolina 12-11 in the other semifinal.

The loss snaps Maryland's 10-game winning streak and drops its record to 12-3 on the season.

The Terps fell behind early when Virginia's Caitlin Banks found the back of the net at 28:09, but Maryland rattled off the next five goals to take a 5-1 lead with 7:33 left in the first half.

In that surge, Kelly Coppedge netted a free-position goal, Delia Cox tallied a pair of scores, and Greta Sommers and Annie Collins found the back of the net for the Terps.

Virginia countered with a score by Kim Conners just :15 later at 7:08, but Maryland pushed its lead to four again on an unassisted goal by Krista Pellizzi at the 5:51 mark. The Cavs' Courtney Young added her 17th goal of the season on an unassisted goal at 3:07 to cut the deficit to three heading into half time.

Appelt was held scoreless in the first half trying to fight through Greta Sommers and double teams. She managed seven total shots, but Miles was able to stop all three of Appelt's shots on goal -- including one free-position.

Appelt wasn't held down for long, though, helping to ignite Virginia in the second half. She scored just two minutes into the second half and added another goal just :46 later to make the score 6-5. Tyler Leachman tied the score at 6-6, then Morgan Thalenberg gave Virginia the lead at 19:26. The Cavs capped their 7-0 run over 22:41 minutes with goals by Banks and Ashleigh Haas to take a 9-6 lead.

After a Terp timeout, Laura Warren stopped the Maryland scoring drought with a shot from five yards out in front of the cage to cut the deficit to two goals with 10:26 remaining in the game. Maryland appeared to make it a one-goal game, but an offsides call disallowed a Maryland score and gave Virginia the ball. The Terps also had another good opportunity on a free-position shot but could not convert.

The Terps will be back in action Wednesday when they travel to No. 1 Princeton.

Originally published April 23, 2004, 7:14 PM EDT

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.