Western avenges loss, rallies past Poly, 8-5

Norfolk makes 10 saves, helps spark Doves to win

Girls lacrosse

High Schools

April 22, 2004|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

After yesterday's 8-5 triumph over Poly, Western goalie Mya Norfolk wanted to focus on her team's growth over the past few weeks instead of her own.

But it was difficult not to notice the turnaround of Norfolk, a junior playing her first season in goal, as the Doves avenged a 15-14 overtime loss last month to the Engineers.

After allowing two goals in the opening 90 seconds yesterday, Norfolk was touched for only three over the final 48 minutes.

The loss was the first for Poly (3-4 overall, 2-1 league) in the city league, which consists of three teams (City is the other member). The teams will meet again in a couple of weeks to decide the city champion.

Western (3-3, 3-1) received two goals each from Sigrid Paulus, Lindsay Winkler and Kacie Ruark, with sophomore Elizabeth Kopp contributing three assists. Samatha Fischbeck had a game-high three goals for Poly. April Ridenour and Elise Victoria each added a goal.

Fischbeck was virtually unstoppable in the Engineers' win last month, scoring 11 goals against Norfolk and Western's defense.

"It was very frustrating, but I didn't let it get me down," said Norfolk, who rebounded with 10 saves yesterday. "Talking to my teammates really helped a lot and kept me focus."

"She's gotten more comfortable in the crease," said Poly coach Josh Headley. "Her clears are getting much better, plus you can tell the communication has improved. They're seeing set plays and rolling plays as it happens and stopping it better."

Norfolk stopped the Engineers from tacking on a third straight early goal, denying Fischbeck. The Doves came back down field and got their first goal, by Winkler on an assist from sophomore Briana Miles. The rest of the first half belonged to Western.

Justine Nelson went high past Poly goalie Elizabeth Debes, and Paulus scored in the final 62 seconds, giving the Doves a 4-2 halftime lead. Ruark's second goal, 57 seconds into the second half, extended the advantage to 5-2. Knapp assisted Paulus with 12:39 remaining, giving Western its largest margin at 7-3.

Fischbeck's second goal brought the Engineers to within 7-4 with 12:01 left.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.