Prince George's has school bomb threat

April 21, 2004|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A bomb threat forced the evacuation of Prince George's County schools and administrative offices yesterday afternoon.

After a search of all school campuses and offices, police could find no bombs, said Lynn McCawley, a school system spokeswoman. Schools will open today as usual.

Students at most schools in the 137,000-student system had been dismissed before officials ordered evacuation at 2:50 p.m., she said. After-school activities and events were canceled.

Police are investigating the bomb threat, which was called in at 1:54 p.m. to the county's 911 center, said police spokesman Lt. Steve Yuen.

The unidentified caller demanded a $1 million ransom and said that if he didn't receive the money by 3 p.m., he would blow up three unspecified schools.

The bomb threat came on the five-year anniversary of the Columbine High School shootings in Colorado.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.