Carroll Digest

CARROLL COUNTY DIGEST

April 14, 2004

Westminster's revitalization conference on hold

The Westminster Conference on Revitalization, which was scheduled for tomorrow, has been postponed by the city's Housing & Community Development Office.

No decision has been made whether the event will be rescheduled.

Information: 410-848-2261.

Commission OKs $82,608 for recreation projects

The Carroll County commissioners yesterday approved $82,608 to help pay for local recreation and parks projects.

The money will help pay for 15 projects throughout the county, including improvements and upgrades to baseball and football fields, adding football goal posts and scoreboards, and buying playground equipment.

Local recreation councils receiving money include the Charles Carroll, Carroll County Equestrian, Freedom Area, North Carroll, Sandymount, Westminster, Winfield and Woodbine groups.

The "self-help" money pays for 75 percent of the projects, while local councils cover the remaining 25 percent, said Richard Soisson, director of the county's recreation department.

Westminster council names nuisance-ordinance panel

The Westminster Common Council named a six-member committee to work on a "disorderly house" nuisance ordinance.

City staff drafted a proposal that would require a property owner to meet with city officials and enter into an agreement spelling out ways to correct problems after a property is declared a disorderly house. City officials would declare a properly a disorderly house if there were two or more arrests, or property maintenance and zoning violations within a year.

Council members said they want a fair ordinance that includes opinions from various parties.

Members are: Damian L. Halstad, council president; Thomas B. Beyard, director of Westminster's Department of Planning and Public Works; Jeff Spaulding, Westminster police chief; Lori Graham, Westminster resident; Russell A. Arenz II, president of the Carroll County Landlords Association; and William F. Haifley, a former Common Council president.

Head-on collision leaves boy, 12, in critical condition

A head-on collision yesterday morning in Eldersburg left a 12-year-old boy in critical condition, state police said.

Authorities said the child, whose identity was not released, was a passenger in a 1997 Ford Escort driven by Terell Christopher Dow, 20, of Gwynn Oak in Baltimore. Dow was driving west on Route 26 (Liberty Road) about 5 a.m. when he crossed the center line west of Oakland Mill Road and struck a 1996 Chevrolet truck driven by Thomas Carroll Ourseler Jr., 26, of Eldersburg.

Dow and another passenger, Nakkisha Devern Dow, 22, were taken by ambulance to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, while the most seriously injured victim, the 12-year-old boy, was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Ourseler was taken by ambulance to Northwest Hospital Center.

Bank robber who used fake bomb sought

State police at the Westminster barracks are searching for a man who robbed a bank using a fake bomb.

Troopers converged on Westminster Union Bank on Route 140 at 1:49 p.m. Monday after the robber had left the bank with an undisclosed amount of money. He walked into the bank carrying a black umbrella and a manila envelope. He placed a dark pipe on a counter and handed over a written note demanding money and threatening to detonate a bomb.

No one was injured during the robbery. State and Westminster police officers searched the area in vain.

Authorities described the suspect as a 6-foot-2-inch-tall black male, 300 pounds, wearing a dark baseball cap, a dark windbreaker, blue jeans and a black-rimmed glasses.

Anyone with information about the crime is asked to contact the state police at 410- 386-3000.

Mount Airy's May elections apparently uncontested

The town of Mount Airy apparently will have no contested elections May 3, as only three candidates have filed for three open council seats, and no one has launched a write-in campaign.

The filing deadline was 5 p.m. Monday, and no notification of write-in candidacies had been received as of yesterday, said B.J. Dixon, the town clerk. Anything postmarked by Monday would be accepted, she said. The town refined its write-in requirements after the 2002 election.

This year's election will run from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. May 3 at the Mount Airy Volunteer Fire Co. activities building on Twin Arch Road.

Councilmen David W. Pyatt and Peter Ramsey Helt are seeking re-election to the council, joined by candidate Wendi Peters, the vice chairwoman of the town's planning and zoning commission, and daughter of Councilman William E. Wagner Jr., who is not seeking another term.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.