Man charged in fatal shooting last year outside Annapolis hall surrenders

April 14, 2004|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

The suspect whom Annapolis police had been seeking for months in the killing of a man outside an American Legion hall last year has surrendered.

Shawn Eric Woodlin, 30, turned himself in late Monday night. Police had been looking for Woodlin since Aug. 29, when he became a suspect in the fatal shooting of Annapolis resident Howard Eugene Stevens, 36, that night in the American Legion's parking lot off Forest Drive.

"We really looked very hard for him," said Annapolis police spokesman Hal Dalton. "We did a search warrant, we had his house under surveillance. Then it pretty much came to a standstill."

Woodlin was charged with first-degree murder, first-degree assault and reckless endangerment, police said.

Woodlin was being held yesterday without bond at the Anne Arundel County Detention Center, police said.

Officers found Stevens' body in the parking lot of the American Legion Cook-Pinkney Post in the 1700 block of Forest Drive.

There had been a social gathering at the post earlier in the evening.

Police believe the motive for the shooting was a long-standing feud.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.