James G. Angelaras, 79, engineering firm founder

April 10, 2004

James G. Angelaras, founder of A.B. Engineering Co. and a World War II veteran, died Thursday from complications of diabetes at Washington Adventist Hospital in Takoma Park. He was 79 and lived in Laurel.

Mr. Angelaras was born and raised in Mytilene, Greece. After graduating from high school, he enlisted in the Greek air force. A pilot, he flew combat missions in North Africa.

After being discharged in 1945, an uncle brought him to Washington. He earned a bachelor's degree in engineering from George Washington University. He later earned a master's degree in civil and structural engineering from the University of Maryland, College Park.

He established A.B. Engineering Co. in 1952 in Bethesda. The firm was known for such projects as the fine arts center at Towson University and the Baltimore Police Department's headquarters.

Mr. Angelaras closed the business and retired in 1994.

For years, he spent weekends at a 600-acre farm near Gettysburg, Pa., where he raised black Angus cattle. He was also an avid rose gardener.

He attended the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation.

Services will be held at 1 p.m. today at the Greek Orthodox Cemetery, 5917 Windsor Mill Road.

Mr. Angelaras is survived by a son, George J. Angelaras of Silver Spring; two daughters, Renee Durakis of Cockeysville and Margarita Berman of Davidsonville; and six grandchildren. His marriage of 33 years to the former Mary Lambros ended in divorce.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.