Three people killed in separate shootings in city

a fourth is said to have died from 1998 wounds

April 08, 2004|By Ryan Davis | Ryan Davis,SUN STAFF

Three people were killed in separate shootings in Baltimore yesterday, and the city's homicide toll grew by yet another from a ruling by the state medical examiner's office that the recent death of a 26-year-old man stemmed from injuries he suffered in a 1998 shooting, police said.

The four deaths pushed the city's homicide total this year to 74. At the same time last year, there were 70 homicides, and the city went on to record 271, police said.

In the first fatal shooting yesterday, 21-year-old Richard E. Parker was shot about 1:30 a.m. in the 2900 block of Garrison Blvd. in Northwest Baltimore, said Agent Donny Moses, a police spokesman.

Parker, of the 3500 block of Fairview Ave., ran to the 3500 block of Powhatan Ave., where police found him collapsed in the street, Moses said. Parker was pronounced dead at Sinai Hospital at 2:20 a.m.

About 3 a.m., a 30-year-old man was shot in the 1500 block of E. Lanvale St. in East Baltimore, Moses said. Police found the man sprawled in the street. He was pronounced dead at Johns Hopkins Hospital at 3:29 a.m. Police withheld the man's name pending notification of family members, Moses said.

About 11:30 a.m., a third man was gunned down in the 2900 block of Brighton St., near Poplar Grove Street in Southwest Baltimore. Detective Mike Hammel said Sylvester Maynard, 22, of the 2800 block of Clifton Ave. was riding a bicycle when an unknown assailant shot him several times. Maynard died about noon at Bon Secours Hospital.

No arrests had been made in any of yesterday's slayings, and police urged anyone with information about them to call the homicide squad at 410-396-2100.

The other death stemmed from a shooting Sept. 20, 1998, police said.

The victim, David Walker, was sitting on steps in the 2200 block of E. Fayette St. when he was shot in the chest and back by Clifton Urquhart.

Walker died Feb. 19, and an autopsy report released Monday stated that the gunshot wounds led to Walker's death, Moses said.

Urquhart is in prison after pleading guilty to attempted murder in the shooting, according to police and court records.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.