Case against ex-principal dropped

Arundel teacher calls off restraining order request

March 27, 2004|By Laura Loh | Laura Loh,SUN STAFF

A teacher who alleged that ousted Annapolis High School principal Deborah Williams tried to run her vehicle off the road last week withdrew her request for a restraining order in court yesterday.

An attorney for Spanish teacher Milagros M. Cancel declined to comment on why her client dropped her civil complaint against Williams, who was forced out of her job last week for unrelated reasons.

Outside court yesterday, Williams declined to comment about the case. She hugged friends and was met with applause from about 30 supporters who attended the brief morning hearing.

Her husband, Alexander Williams, said he was relieved that the case had been dropped. "I thought it was silly," he said.

On Monday, Cancel had obtained a temporary peace order, which barred Williams from contacting her. Yesterday's hearing would have been the court's first opportunity to weigh the merits of the case.

Cancel alleged that her former supervisor's car twice swerved toward her vehicle on U.S. 50 in Annapolis on March 18. In court papers, the teacher wrote that she believed Williams was "retaliating because of her removal" from the school. Police did not file charges in the case.

Williams was transferred to a job in the school system's curriculum department March 17, after a turbulent eight-month tenure. A group of parents and teachers who disagreed with her school-improvement tactics waged an energetic campaign for her ouster.

Superintendent Eric J. Smith said his decision was driven by concerns about student safety and a lack of cooperation between Williams and her staff.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.