Carroll Digest


March 26, 2004

Health Dept. finds no more positive tests for TB at college

After reading about 30 skin tests for tuberculosis yesterday at Carroll Community College, health workers found no positive results for the disease.

The Carroll County Health Department tested about 65 students and teachers this week after a part-time, pre-nursing student was diagnosed with infectious tuberculosis.

All those tested were in the same two classes as the infected student, who is quarantined at home and undergoing treatment.

One student had a positive result Wednesday and will have a chest X-ray to determine whether she has the disease.

About eight classmates, who either dropped the courses or were absent this week, have yet to be tested, but health workers will contact them as soon as possible.

Because it can take as long as 12 weeks for an infected person to test positive for TB, everyone involved in the initial screening will be retested. The Health Department will send letters at the end of May to remind all those scheduled for a second test.

Nurses will administer a second skin test from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. June 7 and 8 at the college, and read the results from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. on June 9 and 10.

Information: 410-876-2152.

Taneytown mayor resting at home after heart surgery

Taneytown Mayor W. Robert Flickinger is at home after open-heart surgery last week and under orders to take it easy, his wife said yesterday.

"For him to be down, it's not easy for him," said Fairy Flickinger, who requested no visitors for now. "He was up and at it yesterday [Wednesday], out for three walks" and talked about going to part of a meeting next week.

An unusual tumor in his heart was discovered after an accident four weeks ago, Mrs. Flickinger said. The accident occurred when the 71-year-old mayor, who is known for helping residents with mowing or shoveling and transporting elderly residents to the hospital, was taking down a partition at a building that will house a city museum. "He was helping," his wife said. "He tramped on a nail or a spike, and it went through his heel."

The mayor went for a tetanus shot the next day and mentioned a twinge in his chest, which led to the discovery of the tumor, Mrs. Flickinger said. He underwent surgery March 19 at the University of Maryland Medical Center and returned home Tuesday.

"The surgeons said we got it in the nick of time," Mrs. Flickinger said. "I guess that stepping on the spike - well, he wouldn't have gone to the doctor. ... That's what started this all off."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.