Landon's rally tops St. Mary's

Bears hold off Dalton on way to 9-4 victory

Boys lacrosse

March 25, 2004|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Mike Griswold said he figured he was in for a long day on learning his task was to guard St. Mary's All-Metro Will Dalton.

Seven seconds into yesterday's game, the Landon junior defender knew he was right.

That's how long it took the 6-foot-5, 250-pound Dalton to win the opening faceoff and go 50 yards, beating four players and the goalie for the first goal.

"How many times did Dalton split double-teams today?" Landon coach Rob Bordley said. "He's a truck."

But the visiting Bears put the breaks on Dalton long enough to score seven unanswered goals in a come-from-behind, 9-4 victory over the No. 3 Saints (3-1).

Griswold (6-4, 225 pounds) and Brendan Reilly double-teamed Dalton, and midfielder Austin Sanders won as many faceoffs (seven) as he lost.

After falling behind 4-2 11:08 into the second quarter, goalie Matt Harrigan (11 saves) stepped up behind Griswold, Todd Osterman, Scott Smith, Phil Muffarrij and Chris Tkac.

St. Mary's was 0-for-5 on extra-man opportunities and shut out in the second half by Harrigan, who thwarted four of its six shots in the third quarter, in which Landon (3-0) scored three times.

After losing the first five faceoffs, Sanders was ordered by assistant coach Mike Derwinski to stop the fast break by moving to Dalton's favored right-hand side.

Landon's offense then took over as Gibbs Fogarty combined with Jake Samperton and George Huguely for three goals and three assists.

After a 4-4 halftime tie, Huguely fed Robert Morrison for a permanent lead 1:42 into the third quarter. Samperton found Will Adrian less than a minute later, and Stoddie Nibley beat the buzzer with a bouncing 15-yarder for a 7-4 lead.

"We fouled too much in the second quarter," said St. Mary's coach Matt Hogan, whose star attackman, Garrett Stanwick, is out for at least 10 days with a shoulder injury. "Then we played too much defense and got too tired."

Dalton scored two of the Saints' first four goals, outrunning the Bears' defense and bouncing the ball past Harrigan for a 1-0 lead.

Dalton's second goal completed a run of 75 yards, making it 3-1 with 3:40 left in the first half. He twice shrugged off hits by Adrian, who went down after their second collision, before scoring on a sweeping, back-handed volley. But Pat Haley's second goal of the game to make it 4-2 was the Saints' last.

In honor of former Cornell defenseman George Boiardi, a Landon graduate who died last week after being hit in the chest by a ball, Bears players wore T-shirts with Boiardi's high school number "21" beneath their jerseys as well as his initials, G.B., on their helmets.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.