Fire at mansion ruled accidental

March 16, 2004|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A fire that destroyed a Clarksville mansion Friday, causing an estimated $6.7 million in damage, started accidentally, according to Howard County fire officials.

William E. Mould, a Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue spokesman, confirmed reports that the fire in the home of developer Frederick W. Kunkle Jr. in the 12700 block of Maryvale Court started after several children were burning paper outside the home.

Mould would not provide any information about the children.

A spark ignited material in the garage about 5 p.m., Mould said, and the fire moved rapidly into the house, particularly into the attic space. The wood-frame house with a brick front had an estimated 28,000 square feet of living space.

"The home was relatively new," Mould said. The family had lived in it for a few months.

The semirural neighborhood has no fire hydrants, so firefighters relied on tanker trucks to deliver water to the site, Mould said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.