Woodlawn handed toughest loss, 59-58

Springbrook pulls it out against No. 4 Warriors

Class 4A boys basketball

High Schools

March 12, 2004|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

COLLEGE PARK - Looking for a win that would have meant a shot at its first state title, Woodlawn came up just short last night by missing a last-second shot and losing to Springbrook of Montgomery County, 59-58, in a Class 4A state semifinal at Comcast Center.

The No. 4-ranked Warriors (22-3), making their first trip to the final four since 1989 and their fourth overall, entered the game with an 18-game winning streak.

They had beaten Lake Clifton, 53-51, in the regional championship game.

Woodlawn's only previous losses were to three teams ranked by The Washington Post - No. 6 Magruder, No. 9 National Christian and No. 12 Spalding.

Springbrook had also lost to Magruder, but also had beaten Magruder twice.

Springbrook scored the game's first nine points and dominated physically in the early going.

Brandon Carr, Woodlawn's 6-foot-7 forward, rallied the Warriors from a 21-11 deficit after one quarter by scoring six second-quarter points and finishing the first half with six rebounds.

Jason Goode was also strong in the opening half, scoring seven points and grabbing five rebounds.

Five turnovers slowed Woodlawn in that first quarter, as did 3-for-11 shooting. The Warriors were helped by three-point baskets from Lance Fuller and Keith Mallory.

Springbrook's Folarin Campbell, who scored 51 points in a victory over Richard Montgomery earlier this season, was nearly unstoppable in the first half, scoring 16 points and grabbing five rebounds as he led the Blue Devils to a 31-29 halftime lead.

Springbrook (24-3) went up 50-45 after three quarters by scoring the last four points on a slam-dunk by Louis Brookins and a layup by Darryl Norris following a Woodlawn turnover.

Keith Mallory put Woodlawn ahead 56-55 with 3:03 to play, but two free throws by Campbell gave the Blue Devils a 58-56 lead with 1:42 to play.

Carr sank a turnaround hook with 1:21 to play to tie it at 58.

Campbell then made one of two free throws with 37 seconds left for a 59-58 Springbrook lead.

Woodlawn ran the clock down to 11 seconds to set up the last shot. Fuller drove the lane and his shot rolled off the rim as time expired.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.