Woodlawn rolls past Walbrook, 89-66

Goode, Fuller combine to key fourth-quarter run

Class 4A North boys basketball

March 05, 2004|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Eddie Green said it was his job to "take Woodlawn to another level" when he accepted the coaching position three years ago, which, in his mind, meant "being able to defeat a good Baltimore City team."

"When I played at Poly, we expected to win every time we played a county team simply because we're from the city," said Green, 32. "Tonight, I think we gained some respect for our program."

That respect came in the form of an 89-66 Class 4A North region semifinal rout of visiting fifth-ranked Walbrook (19-5), which began the year as the area's No. 1-ranked team.

Lance Fuller (24 points) went 13-for-15 from the free-throw line, including 10-for-10 in the fourth quarter, in which he scored 14 points. His 6-foot-4, 230-pound teammate, Jason Goode, finished with 22 points, 18 rebounds, five assists and four blocks.

"It was a big step for us because everyone was saying that we couldn't beat a city team," said Goode, who will play football at Maryland. He beat a defender on a behind-the-back dribble and also scored off a pull-up jumper from the top of the key.

Jordan Brown had 16 points for No. 9 Woodlawn (20-3), and teammate Brandon Carr scored 12. Woodlawn will play host tomorrow to Lake Clifton, a semifinal winner over Thomas Johnson, in the 4A North championship game.

"With the atmosphere, the team we played, what was at stake, this is a game I'll enjoy for a long time - probably the best I've ever had," Goode said.

"As a team, given the opportunity tonight, we showed up, stepped up to the stage and performed."

Dustin Lawson (25 points) led Walbrook, scoring 10 points in the first quarter, which his team led, 18-16. He scored 13 points in the fourth quarter.

Teammate Velmar Coleman (15 points) was the only other Walbrook player to score in double figures in a game that changed leads 16 times in the first half before Woodlawn took a 31-27 intermission lead.

Woodlawn led by as many as 12 points in the third quarter and by 10 three times in the period, the first time after a three-pointer by Keith Mallory that made it 38-28. Its lead was nine (51-43) heading into the fourth.

But that's when Walbrook began its last comeback. Consecutive fast-break layups by Lawson and Coleman had the visitors within 51-47. Lawson's pair of free throws brought his team within 53-51 with 6:28 to play.

But Woodlawn's ensuing 16-6 run, capped by Goode's put-back of an assist by Fuller for a 69-57 lead with 2:38 to play, clinched the game.

The visitors were outscored, 20-9, from there.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.