Ex-Raven charged in alleged abduction

Injured victim was found on Cal Ripken's doorstep

March 02, 2004|By Laura Barnhardt | Laura Barnhardt,SUN STAFF

A former Ravens player was charged yesterday with helping to plan the kidnapping of a Baltimore man who ended up naked and bleeding from a gunshot wound on Cal Ripken's doorstep Thanksgiving evening, police said.

Dameon Deshaun Hunter, a running back who was cut from the Ravens during training camp last year after one season with the team, was charged in an arrest warrant with conspiracy to commit kidnapping, according to Baltimore County police. No arrest has been made.

Although he was not one of the three men accused of driving the victim around Baltimore on Thanksgiving, Hunter, 25, is accused of helping to plan the Nov. 27 kidnapping of an acquaintance, Brian Holmes Robbins, police said.

Robbins, 20, told police he was abducted near his downtown Baltimore apartment and released in a field near Ripken's Worthington Valley home nine hours later.

The suspects demanded Robbins give them $10,000 but reduced the ransom to $2,000 as time passed, police said. When he couldn't raise the cash using his cell phone to call friends and family, Robbins was told to undress and walk away from the car. As he ran from the suspects, he was shot in the back, police said.

Robbins ran to the nearest house, which was Ripken's, said Officer Shawn Vinson, a county police spokesman. Detectives don't believe the men knew they were near the baseball star's house, Vinson said.

After reviewing records from the victim's cell phone, which the suspects kept, police on Dec. 18 charged William H. Gunn, 21, of the 3800 block of Victoria Ave. in Baltimore, as the shooter in the case. Gunn was indicted in January on charges of first-degree assault, attempted first-degree murder, kidnapping and a weapons violation, police said. He is being held without bail at the Baltimore County detention center.

Robbins' cell phone records showed that one of the people the suspects called was Hunter, whose most recent address is unknown, police said.

Hunter is due to appear in court next month on an unrelated drug charge, District Court records show.

Hunter was cut from the Ravens on Aug. 25, said media relations manager Chad Steele. He had played in the 2002 season opener, team records show.

Steele said the Ravens have no comment on the arrest warrant.

John Maroon, a Ripken spokesman, also declined to discuss the matter, saying, "It's in the police department's hands."

Sun researcher Shelia Jackson contributed to this article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.