Boy, 14, is fatally stabbed in fight

In unrelated killing, man found shot near Poe home

January 29, 2004|By Del Quentin Wilber and Richard Irwin | Del Quentin Wilber and Richard Irwin,SUN STAFF

A 14-year-old boy who had recently fled a group home was stabbed to death after a fight early yesterday in Cherry Hill, and a 25-year-old man was charged with first-degree murder in the slaying, police said.

In an unrelated killing yesterday, an unidentified man in his late 30s was found fatally shot about 5:50 p.m. behind the historic home of poet and horror writer Edgar Allan Poe.

It was the city's 21st homicide this month and the 51st in the past 59 days.

Standing several feet from where the man was shot, police Commissioner Kevin Clark said the slaying was "an example of the proliferation of guns in this city." He said it appears that many of the city's recent homicides are committed by people lying in wait for their victims in areas where there are no witnesses. "Those types of murders are difficult to solve," he said.

Police responding to several 911 calls about shots fired behind the Poe House in the 200 block of N. Amity St. found the victim lying on a snowy pavement between the rear of Poe House and the neighboring brick dwellings in the Poe Homes public housing complex, said Detective Ray Laslett.

The killing of the 14-year-old, Keyyon Makins, stemmed from a fight that began when the youth knocked on a door in the 1000 block of Bethune Road in Cherry Hill and asked for a man to come outside, police said.

The man emerged, the pair fought and Keyyon was stabbed in the neck, police said.

Keyyon, of the 3400 block of Spelman Road, staggered several dozen feet before collapsing. He died at Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Kenneth Worrell of the 800 block of Bethune Road was arrested a short time later, police said, and was held last night on first-degree murder charges.

Police said the early morning altercation stemmed from a previous fight between Worrell and a group of young boys, including Keyyon.

Keyyon's relatives said he was a good boy who was struggling to overcome a difficult childhood and the deaths of his parents and grandmother. He was in the custody of one of his cousins and the city's Department of Social Services, family members said.

Before Christmas, Keyyon fled from a Baltimore County group home, where he had been staying while going to school, a family member said.

He returned to his old neighborhood in Cherry Hill, staying with friends and frequently visiting his cousin, Danielle Robertson, 27, and relatives living in her home.

Keyyon fled the group home because he missed his two brothers and a sister, Robertson said.

Family members said they did not believe police accounts that Keyyon would seek to fight an older man. They also said that the assailant should have restrained himself.

Keyyon's death was the fourth homicide since Saturday in the Cherry Hill neighborhood.

On Saturday, a 22-year-old man was fatally shot in the 2200 block of Sidney Ave.

On Sunday morning, a 42-year-old mother was found fatally stabbed inside her home in the 900 block of Seagull Ave. in an attack that left her 6-year-old son wounded.

The next morning, a 21-year-old man was shot to death as he drove in the 2700 block of Giles Road.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.