Arundel Digest


December 17, 2003

Chester man is arrested, charged with kidnapping

After being held against her will for more than an hour, a Glen Burnie woman was released unharmed yesterday morning, and Anne Arundel County police said they arrested a man in the incident.

Devin Michael Fisher, 22, a Chester resident against whom the woman has a protective order, has been charged with kidnapping, first- and second-degree assault, false imprisonment and destruction of property, police said.

Police said that Megan Elizabeth Burg, 22, was pulled from her vehicle as she arrived at work on Crain Highway about 8:30 a.m. She was forced into the man's car and driven around in northern areas of the county, police said.

When Burg convinced the man that she would not pursue criminal charges against him, he dropped her off in a parking lot on Baltimore and Annapolis Boulevard, police said. Officers found her there uninjured and arrested the suspect, whom they spotted driving north on Ritchie Highway near Hammonds Lane, less than 10 minutes later.

Carbon monoxide death is called accidental

Annapolis police said yesterday that a man who died of carbon monoxide poisoning Sunday afternoon appears to have died accidentally.

Edward Whitaker, 38, had been working on small engines in a 20-foot trailer behind his house on Silopanna Road the afternoon he died, police said. Inside the enclosed trailer, which was not ventilated, Whitaker had been using a generator to power a space heater and tools, police said.

Emergency workers at the scene measured the level of carbon monoxide inside the workshop at nearly twice the lethal amount, said Officer Hal Dalton, a spokesman for the Annapolis Police Department.

Whitaker was taken to Anne Arundel Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead shortly after 4 p.m. His sister, Jacqueline Whitaker, who had gone inside the trailer to try to revive her brother, also was taken to the hospital, where she was treated and released.

Police said people should never run a generator inside an enclosed space and should try to keep the machine in a remote location.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.