No. 4 Aberdeen roars back, outlasts Potomac to prevail in overtime, 33-25

Trailing 25-7 at the half, Eagles score 26 straight to capture first state title

High Schools

December 11, 2003|By Jeff Zrebiec | Jeff Zrebiec,SUN STAFF

Erin Henderson threw a 11-yard touchdown pass to Devron Galloway on the first possession of overtime and then Willis Boykin intercepted Harold Dorman on Potomac's first possession of overtime as the No. 4 Aberdeen Eagles staged a miraculous comeback and beat the Potomac Wolverines in overtime, 33-25, in the Class 2A state championship game last night at M&T Bank Stadium.

It was Aberdeen's first state title. The Eagles finished at 12-1 while Potomac, out of Prince George's County, was 12-2.

Aberdeen scored 18 unan swered points in the second half as Carl Stokes scored on an 8-yard touchdown run and Avery Willie hit Phillip Brown on a 29-yard halfback option pass. A failed two-point conversion made it 25-19 Potomac with 58 seconds left in the third quarter.

With Potomac trying to run out the clock, Titan Trabue fumbled and the ball was recovered by Aberdeen's Richard Forton. Henderson then finalized a six-play drive by hitting Ryan McVey for a 17-yard touchdown pass with 2:17 to play. But Cody Martin's extra point was blocked, keeping the score at 25-all.

Aberdeen's Devron Galloway then picked off Potomac quarterback Harold Dorman at the Wolverines" 35. But the Eagles drive stalled on fourth-and-1 when Henderson's pass was dropped by McVey.

Already itching to get things under way after last Saturday's game was postponed four days until last night, the Eagles got an emotional boost with Joppatowne's victory over Beall in the Class 1A title game.

The two Harford County teams have been supporting each other since the playoffs began and showed more camaraderie last night. Aberdeen was lined up outside the Mariners" locker room to greet Joppatowne after its game and the two teams exchanged hugs and high-fives before the Eagles took the field.

The good feeling didn't last long for Aberdeen, which watched the Wolverines drive the ball 72 yards in just five plays to take a 6-0 lead.

Operating mostly in the shotgun, Dorman hit Keith Dawson Jr. with a 51-yard pass to get the ball deep into Eagles" territory. He then connected with James Nickens for an 11-yard touchdown pass.

And much to the chagrin of Aberdeen, Dorman was just getting warmed up. Limited two weeks ago by the swamp-like conditions in the Wolverines" 8-0 victory over previously No. 1 and undefeated Eastern Tech, Dorman's footing was just fine last night and he proved it on the play that gave Potomac a 12-0 lead.

With the ball on the Aberdeen 8, Dorman eluded two defenders in rolling out right, but with that side of the field covered, Dorman cut back all the way to the left side before diving in the end zone at the 6:24 mark of the second quarter.

Henderson misfired on his first six passing attempts. But after a 5-yard offsides penalty on the Wolverines kept alive an Aberdeen drive, the senior hit Carl Stokes down the sideline for a 37-yard touchdown. Cody Martin's extra point made it 12-7.

However, the Eagles" momentum was short-lived. Dorman answered with a nine-play, 72-yard drive that ended with a 16-yard touchdown pass to Korey Coles, making it 18-7.

On the ensuing possession, Henderson was sacked by Adrian McLeod and lost ball.

Then Dorman hit Coles for a 38-yard score - his third touchdown pass of the half - and a 25-7 lead.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.