Carbon monoxide suspected in Calvert church illness

December 01, 2003

Seventeen churchgoers were taken to a hospital yesterday for suspected carbon-monoxide poisoning, according to Calvert County firefighters.

A child suffered a seizure at Waters Memorial United Methodist Church in the 5400 block of Mackall Road in Mutual about 9:40 a.m., according to firefighters. Shortly afterward, others began complaining of nausea and headaches.

Twelve adults and five children were taken to Calvert Memorial Hospital for testing. All are expected to recover, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Firefighters detected high levels of carbon monoxide in the building, and shut down the air-conditioning and heating units and ventilated the building.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.