Three men found dead in Baltimore rowhouse

No apparent trauma signs

carbon monoxide ruled out

November 30, 2003|By Julie Bell and Doug Donovan | Julie Bell and Doug Donovan,SUN STAFF

Baltimore police were trying to determine last night how three men who showed no apparent signs of trauma died in a Parkside rowhouse, most likely well before their bodies were found yesterday afternoon.

Investigators consider the deaths in the home at 4753 Elison Ave. "suspicious," said Officer Troy Harris, a police spokesman.

"To the naked eye, you can't tell the cause of death" in any case police term "suspicious," he said, "whether it was a homicide, a gas leak or an overdose."

Police received a call early yesterday afternoon to check on the east-side home.

Neither the time of that call, nor who made it, was clear last night.

But about 1:50 p.m., a police dispatcher called the Fire Department to assist officers at the brick home, located in a quiet, well-kept neighborhood east of Herring Run Park.

The Fire Department sent two medic units and a truck, but determined that the men had been dead for some time, said Kevin Cartwright, a fire spokesman. About 3 p.m., police summoned firefighters again, this time to check for carbon monoxide in the home, Cartwright said.

The results of those tests were negative, said police Detective Richard Purtell.

Harris said any comment on the cause of death likely will have to wait until the results of an autopsy are known. He said there was no sign of forced entry at the home.

Police have not identified the dead men and declined to say where they were found inside. Harris said they appeared to be middle-aged and that there were no signs of gunshot or stab wounds.

Directories show the home was occupied by Ronald A. Green, 46. Neighbors said that they knew the occupant only as "Ron," and that they had last seen him two or three days before Thanksgiving.

Green was living alone after his wife recently left him, though she occasionally still stopped by to see him, neighbors said.

Darryl McCoy, who lives in an adjoining home at 4751 Elison Ave., said he observed people coming and going from the front and back doors all day, when Green's wife was at work.

"We knew Ron had a problem," McCoy said.

McCoy said he last saw his neighbor during the late afternoon Tuesday. He was standing in the door, saying goodbye to his wife after a visit, McCoy said.

McCoy said he wondered about the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. He said he had taken his wife and three of his five children to the doctor Thanksgiving Day after all four complained of headaches and nausea.

"We thought it was carbon monoxide," McCoy said. "We were cooking the turkey all day."

He said doctors said the family members were fine, but he wondered yesterday afternoon whether some carbon monoxide fumes might have leaked from next door.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.