Regional Digest


November 29, 2003|By From staff reports

ANNAPOLIS — In Anne Arundel

Severna Park man hangs himself in Annapolis jail cell

ANNAPOLIS -- A Severna Park man hanged himself in his jail cell early yesterday morning after he was arrested on drug charges, police said.

William Henry Stevens, 38, of the 300 block of Pine Circle, was arguing with a woman at a house in the first block of Jeremy's Way in Annapolis around 2 a.m., police said. Officers discovered what appeared to be cocaine residue in the house and arrested Stevens and the 34-year-old woman, Cameron Ross McDonald, police said.

About 3:40 a.m., an officer went to the cell to give Stevens a citation and release him but found that he had used his long-sleeved shirt to hang himself from the bars of his cell, police said. Police and state officials are investigating the incident.

In Baltimore City

Two men fatally shot in separate incidents

Two men were killed yesterday in separate shootings, one in Walbrook and the other in Waverly.

In the first, a man was shot in the head about 3:30 a.m. in the 3100 block of W. North Ave. and died shortly afterward, said Officer Troy Harris, a police spokesman. A second man shot in the shoulder in the same incident in Walbrook was expected to recover, he said. Both men were in their 20s.

Harris said police were still investigating the circumstances and had no suspects.

In the second incident, police responded at 11:37 a.m. to find a man dead with a gunshot wound to the head in the 900 block of Greystone Road in the Waverly neighborhood. Police released no further information.

In Worcester County

One dead, one hurt in fall while stringing holiday lights

OCEAN CITY -- One man died and another was in critical condition yesterday after they fell about four stories from a scaffold while hanging Christmas lights at the Princess Royale Suite hotel, police said.

Michael Koch, 46, of Georgetown, Del., and Ivan Morales, 34, of Ocean City, were hanging the lights from a ceiling high above the hotel's pool area about 10 a.m. yesterday when the scaffold on which they were standing came "off of the track," police said in a statement. The two plunged to the concrete deck below.

Paramedics took them to Atlantic General Hospital in Berlin, where Koch was pronounced dead about 11:30 a.m. Morales was later driven to Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury, so he could be flown by Medevac helicopter to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.