George M. Wagner, 90, salesman, church organist

November 19, 2003

George M. Wagner, a retired paper company salesman who was organist and choirmaster at several churches, died Friday of complications from Parkinson's disease at Roland Park Place, where he had lived for the past 13 years. The former Charles Village resident was 90.

Born in Cedar Falls, Iowa, he moved to Baltimore as a child and was raised on Tyndale Avenue. He attended what was then the Mergenthaler School of Printing.

He also studied music and received a teaching certificate from the Peabody Conservatory in 1934.

He worked in the music department at the old Stewart's department store before becoming a salesman for the Barton Duer and Koch Paper Co.

Mr. Wagner had a small pipe organ and harpsichord in his St. Paul Street home, and enjoyed entertaining friends and fellow musicians with chamber concerts.

From 1936 to 1963, he was organist at St. Luke's Episcopal Church on North Carey Street, then played at St. Mark's Lutheran Church on St. Paul Street. He oversaw the installation of a pipe organ at St. David's Episcopal Church in Roland Park in the mid-1960s, when he played for that congregation.

Until he retired about 15 years ago, he was organist and choirmaster at the downtown Mount Calvary Episcopal Church, 816 N. Eutaw St., where a memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday.

Mr. Wagner's wife of 36 years, the former Margery Levering Bond, a Bryn Mawr School secretary, died in 1990. He has no immediate survivors.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.