Man charged in Jessup motel rape

Knife-wielder enters a room at 4 a.m., attacks 3 teen-agers, police say

Howard County

November 18, 2003|By Gus G. Sentementes | Gus G. Sentementes,SUN STAFF

A 33-year-old Columbia man was charged in connection with an attack on three teen-agers in a Jessup motel in which a girl and boy were forced at knifepoint to perform sex acts with each other and the girl was raped, Howard County police said yesterday.

Thomas A. Woodson of the 9000 block of Queen Maria Court in Long Reach village was arrested near the Cedar Motel in Jessup and charged with rape; multiple counts of first- and second-degree assault and false imprisonment; and making a false statement to police, court documents said.

After a bail review hearing in District Court yesterday, Woodson was being held on $150,000 bond at the Howard County Detention Center, court documents show.

Police said that an 18-year-old man, a 17-year-old boy and a 16-year-old girl were in a room at the Cedar Motel, in the 8000 block of Washington Blvd. The 18-year-old rented the room Friday, the motel's owner, Yun Hi Cho, said in a phone interview.

The Sun does not print the names of alleged victims in sex-crime cases.

According to police and charging documents, a man with a knife entered the room through an open door at 4 a.m. Saturday and told the occupants they owed him money.

But police spokeswoman Sherry Llewellyn said that the intruder and the teen-agers did not appear to have known each other before the incident.

The man ordered the 18-year-old to stay in the bathroom and then ordered the other two teen-agers to perform sexual acts on each other, according to the documents.

The man then demanded the girl perform a sexual act on him, the documents stated.

According to charging documents, after the girl was raped the man opened the bathroom door and told the 18-year-old that he had a half-hour to get his money and then left.

The teen-agers called 911 about 5:30 a.m., and police responding to the scene found a knife and a condom wrapper in the motel room, charging documents said.

Police interviewed the teen-agers and obtained a description of a suspect.

Woodson was arrested about 6 a.m. at a pay phone near the motel, the documents stated.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.