Fire causes $250,000 in damage to 12-unit apartment building

November 18, 2003|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

Neighbors alerted a Glen Burnie woman yesterday morning in time for her to escape from a blaze in her third-floor apartment that caused about $250,000 in damage to the building, Anne Arundel County fire officials said.

Pamela Foote told fire investigators that she and her 13-year-old son, William, had smelled smoke for several hours in the early morning. But, seeing no fire, the boy left for school and the woman went back to bed.

Just after 8 a.m., neighbors in the 12-unit building on Gatewater Court pounded on Foote's door and told her they saw flames coming from her roof.

Forty-six firefighters responded to the scene, where they found flames reaching heights of about 60 feet, and had the blaze extinguished by 9 a.m.

Division Chief John M. Scholz, the fire department's spokesman, said the fire originated in the area above the furnace and spread up through the roof. He said smoke alarms hadn't been triggered because the smoke was above the ceiling.

No one was injured, Scholz said.

Lisa Siefert, marketing manager for the Gatewater Landing apartments, said the building's occupants stayed in a hotel last night and would be relocated to other apartments on the grounds today.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.