Calvert Hall stuns No. 1 Curley with Friars' 1st loss, 4-0

Unranked Cardinals face No. 8 McDonogh in A final

MIAA soccer semifinals

High Schools

November 08, 2003|By Sam Atkinson | Sam Atkinson,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

The look on the faces of the Archbishop Curley boys soccer team said it all. The top-ranked Friars were stunned as unranked Calvert Hall celebrated its 4-0 Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference semifinal victory yesterday on the road.

The Friars (22-1-2, 14-0-2) were making their first playoff appearance in three years, but all of that ended in 80 minutes. Gone are the Friars' perfect record, the No. 1 ranking and, more importantly, their season.

"Our expectation at the beginning of the season was to make the playoffs, but certainly when you have the kind of regular season we did you are expected to be in the championship game," said Curley coach Barry Stitz. "We just didn't get the job done today."

For the Cardinals (11-6-2, 8-6-2), they now find themselves in the unlikely position of defending their MIAA A Conference title a year after losing all but two starters and starting a freshman in goal.

Calvert Hall is making its third appearance in the MIAA title game in four years as it faces off against McDonogh at 5 p.m. today at UMBC. The No. 8 Eagles defeated No. 4 Loyola, 2-1, in an overtime shootout.

"It is hard to go on the road and win in this league," Calvert Hall coach Andy Moore said. "It has been a long time since a road team has won a semifinal game in this league. This is the performance that I have been waiting for all year."

Senior co-captain Patrick Healey had a huge game for the Cardinals as he scored the team's first and last goals. Healey's first goal came at the 17-minute mark in the first half off a nice assist from fellow senior co-captain Ryan Callinan.

Calvert Hall went into halftime up 1-0 knowing it had not lost a game this season when leading at the break.

Less then 30 seconds into the second half, Calvert Hall sophomore Ernest Johnson had a diving header go into the Friars' goal, deflating Curley.

The Cardinals' defense then hunkered down with freshman goalie Kyle Wittman (nine saves) smothering every Friars scoring attempt.

"I really haven't had a big win before," Wittman said. "We knew we could win even if we are the fourth seed. Nobody believed in us but we believed in ourselves."

No. 8 McDonogh 2, No. 4 Loyola 1: The Eagles rallied from a goal down and defeated the host Dons in overtime to advance to the A Conference final for the sixth straight year.

Wade McHugh beat a Loyola defender to a ball flicked far post by junior Eric Shadoff and put it past Loyola goalkeeper Akira Fitzgerald, setting off a McDonogh celebration and setting up a championship game against Calvert Hall.

Loyola (17-2-2) scored first in the fifth minute when Joe Deasel lobbed a shot over McDonogh goalkeeper Alex Horwath (10 saves).

The Eagles (15-6-2) hit the equalizer 15 minutes later when junior defender Matt Beckman took a Jeremy Seiverts drive off a set piece from near midfield, beat a defender and blistered a shot from just inside the 18-yard line.

Sts. Peter and Paul 2, Mount Carmel 1: Logan Berrier scored once in each half, leading Sts. Peter and Paul (15-1-2) over the visiting Cougars (14-7-2) and into the MIAA C Conference championship game, where it will play Lutheran, a 1-0 winner Thursday over Beth Tfiloh.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.