Century boys edge Liberty in OT, 2-1, gain 2A semifinals

Dietz scores both goals for Knights

Century girls also advance to states

Soccer regional finals

High Schools

November 05, 2003|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

While the majority of his teammates crowd around the goal on corner kicks, Century senior Kyle Dietz hangs back, waiting for his chance at a ball that squirts through the menagerie.

In overtime of last night's Class 2A West regional final at Liberty, Dietz made the most of that chance, taking Steve Romeo's deep corner out of midair and sending it into the back of the net 2:40 into sudden death to give the Knights a 2-1 win over the defending regional champions.

"I just always stand in the back on corner kicks," said Dietz, who scored both of Century's goals on the night. "It came right over to me, and I got a hold of it. Regional finals, overtime ... that was pretty sweet."

At a school where most of the attention has been focused on the state champion girls soccer team, the boys will now join their female counterparts in this weekend's Class 2A state semifinals, at a time and site to be determined.

In consecutive games, the Knights (9-2-3), in their second year of varsity play, have knocked off top-seeded North Hagerstown and the second-seeded Lions (12-2-2).

No. 11 Liberty controlled the game early, almost scoring twice midway through the first half on shots by Taylor Van Brackle, who on Saturday was air-lifted to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center for suspected internal bleeding after taking a kick to the chest.

The Lions finally took the lead on Justin Ahmanson's effort following a free kick early in the second half. With 26:37 left in regulation, however, Dietz tied it by streaking down the right side and shooting it in from a tough angle.

"We made some adjustments, and it seemed to work out," said Century coach Scott Smith. "We came out in the second half with intensity and aggressiveness."

For Liberty, the loss was hard to swallow.

"Honestly, I don't think [the Knights] really sniffed the goal too much tonight, but when they got their opportunities, they finished them," said Lions coach Ed DeVincent. "That's what good teams do."

Kenwood 1, Thomas Johnson 0: Senior Andy Gallagher scored four minutes into the first overtime to help the fifth-seeded Bluebirds (9-5-2) beat second-seeded Thomas Johnson at CCBC-Dundalk and capture the 4A North crown, their first regional soccer championship in school history.

Westlake 2, No. 15 Severna Park 1: Tim Remo scored in the 67th minute to break a 1-1 tie and lift the top-seeded and host Wolverines to the Class 4A South title, ending the 30-year career of Falcons coach Don Gregg, whose team finished 11-4-2.

"Right now, it's kind of empty, like you let the air out of your tires," said Gregg, who has more than 300 wins, 14 Anne Arundel County titles and two state championships. "But you move on and let someone else take over. Sometimes when you leave, there's nothing left to come back to, but there is going to be a good nucleus for the team next year."

Girls soccer

No. 3 Century 3, Liberty 0: Kelly Kasper and Brittany Eger scored first-half goals within 1:34 of each other, staking host Century (14-2-1) to an early lead in a win over Liberty in the Class 2A West finals.

The defending Class 2A state champions, who also got a pair of assists from sophomore Amanda Bradley, advanced to this weekend's state semifinals, where they will play Eastern Tech.

Perry Hall 2, Westminster 0: Sophomore Jessica Knight broke a scoreless tie with 12 minutes left and Brittany McKew added an insurance score to lead the visiting Gators (14-4) over the Owls (8-4-2) and to their third consecutive Class 4A North title.

No. 9 Eastern Tech 2, Hereford 0: The host Mavericks (16-2) took the 2A North title for the third straight year behind two goals from senior forward Erika Stimmel - both assisted by sophomore Katie McKay.

Oakland Mills 1, Poolesville 1: The Scorpions (5-7-1) upset the Indians (8-3-2), the defending Class 1A state champions, in the South region final, winning the game 4-3 on penalty kicks after the score was tied through regulation and 20 minutes of overtime.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.